In this article we will see:
- What is and how to open a DLL File extension with a dll opener in Windows, MAC and online.
- How to edit, read, view, convert, make, install and register it.
- A list of DLL openers, programs, apps, editors, viewers, readers, converters and websites associated to this file suffix format.
- Type: Dynamic link library
- Extension: .dll
Category: Compiled Files
File format: Open-Source
What is a .DLL file
This format also know as Dynamic Link Library is a file shared between a number of software programs (and are similar to .EXE files). It is used in Microsoft Windows and OS/2 operating systems.
These files will contain compiled procedures, or drivers (for example for a printer) which a range of programs can then all access. You will often come across DLL files in the context of not having them, which is to say if you plug a new piece of hardware into your PC the computer might complain about missing the 123XYZ.DLL.
In practice this means that the system can’t find the driver associated with this hardware. You will usually be able to download legitimate DLL files from a CD accompanying the hardware, or off the Internet from the hardware producers website.
Learn more about the DLL format in the Windows official help.
Additional comments: It is unlikely that you should ever have to open or edit a file extension dll (unless you are a specialist). Also note that these can be a source of infection and should be saved from the Internet or executed from an email, with care.
Appropriate program for file extension DLL: Specific software that can open DLL include: Generally there is no need to view it and it isn’t particularly advisable to attempt to.
How to open dll files free
You can see here free software file viewers online and to download. Use one of the following free viewers. In general, these files need the source code to decompile them in order to edit.
If Windows is unable to open a DLL file you may not have the appropriate program installed or may have a registry related error.
Use the source program
DLL are libraries from windows applications. The best chance to open a DLL with success is to find out which is the program that created and uses it. Here you will find a list with common dll. Search for yours, if you are lucky you will know which is the source program quickly.
Some examples of windows programs that use dll and some common examples:
- Microsoft office suite: MSO.DLL, MSCOREE.DLL, and MSVCR90.DLL
- Adobe photoshop: ACE.DLL, BIB.DLL, and PCDLIB32.DLL
- Windows media player: WMVCORE.DLL, WMASF.DLL, and WMVDECOD.DLL
- internet explorer: IEFRAME.DLL, URLMON.DLL, and MSHTML.DLL
- Google chrome: CHROMEFRAME.DLL, CRASHHANDLER.DLL
- Microsoft visual studio: MSVCP140.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL, and UCRTBASE.DLL
- Autocad: AC1ST17.DLL, DBXUTIL.DLL, and ACGE18AC.DLL
- Winrar: RAR.DLL, UNRAR.DLL, and VCOMP100.DLL
- Skype: KERNEL32.DLL, USER32.DLL, and WS2_32.DLL
- Mozilla Firefox: MOZCRT19.DLL, NSS3.DLL, and XPCOM.DLL
You can also use dll-files website to find out about the dll you are trying to open.
Using Windows registry
These are the steps for the windows registry method:
- To begin, launch the Command Prompt by either clicking on the Windows Start menu or pressing Windows Key+R, typing “cmd”, and then pressing Enter.
- Next, navigate to the folder containing the .DLL. You can do this by using Windows File Explorer and right-clicking on the folder while holding down the Shift key. This will display the option to open the command prompt directly in that folder.
- Then, type “regsvr32 [DLL name].dll” into the command prompt and press Enter. This function will add the DLL to the Windows Registry, making it accessible to your system. It can also be used to add new DLL files to your computer.
- Finally, if you encounter issues with a DLL, you can use the command “regsvr32 -u [DLL name].dll” to remove the file from the registry. This can help resolve problems with DLL files that are not functioning correctly.
with Visual Studio online
This is the step by step guide to do it online from your Microsoft Account with this app:
Open a web browser. You can use any browser you prefer, but it may be more convenient to use one that you’re familiar with.
Go to the official website address. You can also search for it in google to find the site.
Sign in or create an account. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, you’ll need to create one to use it. If you already have one, simply sign in with your credentials.
Upload the file. Once you’re logged in, you can navigate to your file explorer and select the DLL you want to edit. Then, upload it to begin working with it.
In Microsoft Visual studio
These are the required steps to open and edit:
- Go to the windows start menu
- There you must type Visual Studio Tool.
- A folder will appear. Go to it.
- For 2013 select “Developer Command Prompt”
- For 2010 select “Visual Studio Command Prompt “.
- The command prompt will appear.
- Type ildasm.exe
- Press ENTER.
- The window will open.
- Drag the file from the folder to the windows.
- Or Go to the file menu. Click on New and then add .dll
- Then, Mainfest and the .dll will appear. Double click on it and see its contents.
decompile a .dll file with a decompiler software
- First of all get the required software filegenreflector here
- Launch reflector.exe
- In the View section click on Add-Ins
- Click Add
- Search your file.
- Close the window
- GO to file->Open and select your .dll for decompile.
- Go to Tools->Generate Files and click on it
- Click on generate files and the process of decompile will start.
Why Can’t I open it
The most important thing is to have a software, program or application that can manage these kind of files. A .dll opener, fixer or editor.
If not you will fail opening it. A viewer if you want to view it, a reader if you want to read it.
How to Edit
To edit these kind of files you need a .dll editor.
How to read
To read these files you need a dll reader program.
How to install
You can install and register it following these steps:
- Get or download the dynamic link library file.
- Unzip and extract it.
- Copy it in the system32 folder of windows. (the registry folder).
- From the start menu Run program
- Type regsvr32 and the name and path of your file (example regsvr32 C://windows/system32/example.dll
- This will register your dll files
Go to your start menu, and open the “Run” program. In the text area, type “regsvr32” then the path and name of the DLL you just copied (for example, type “regsvr32 C://windows/system32/esck_001.dll”).
This will open the registry registrar program for Windows, and it will automatically register the DLL that you just copied into the system folder.
How to make and create a dll
Using visual studio
To create it you need to use visual studio 2019 from microsoft.
- Create a project
- Set language C++
- Set platform = Windows
- The project type will be library
- Select in the project types Dynamic-link library
- Select next
- Configure your project
You can create a blank file and then add the .dll suffix.